On Saturday night, Ethan Finlay did something that had only been done one other time before. He became the second ex-Crew player to score the only goal in a 1-0 defeat of the Crew.
Finlay, a speedy winger who tallied 30 goals and 30 assists in six seasons in Black & Gold from 2012-2017 tapped home the winning goal in the 70th minute. The goal came after a week in which Finlay expressed fondness and appreciation for the Crew and the friends he still has on the team, but admitted he wanted “to beat up on them pretty bad.”
The only other former Crew player to score the sole goal to beat the Crew was former defender Eric Brunner, who scored a 46th minute for Portland in a 1-0 Timbers victory on May 21, 2011. A Dublin OH native, Brunner scored two goals in 39 appearances for the Crew from 2009-2010.
On the flip side, the Crew have won seven 1-0 games on such “revenge goals.”
* Tony Sanneh vs. D.C. United on 9/25/2004
* Cornell Glen vs. Dallas on 8/20/2005 (Traded to the Crew mid-season after not getting into a single game for Dallas)
* Chris Henderson at Kansas City on 8/26/2005
* Ezra Hendrickson vs. D.C. United on 4/28/2007
* Alejandro Moreno vs. Houston on 4/26/2008
* Alejandro Moreno vs. LA Galaxy on 10/4/2008
* Kei Kamara vs. Houston on 4/23/2016
A MASSIVE SEASON is now available as an ebook.